Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Fifth anaesthetic – third operation




As usual, there was some good news and some bad news.

The pressure in my eyes has risen since my EUA two weeks ago, which is not a good thing. It means that I might be getting glaucoma. More bad news is that the vitreous in my left eye was causing the membrane across my pupil, preventing the pupil from dilating. Uncle Jacobus had to suck out some more of the vitreous fluid, and push it back into place.

The good news is that he didn’t have to touch my iris – no scraping away of fibrosis necessary. My pupil is now nice and round and centred over my retina. Hopefully it will be able to dilate properly. We’ll just have to watch those pressures and pray like mad…

I’ve got to have three different drops in my left eye again, every two hours, for the next week. I have two tiny stitches on my cornea so I won’t be able to wear a contact lens on my left eye for a week or so because my eye will be quite scratchy. The stitches will come out in two weeks’ time when I go for another EUA.

Uncle Jacobus mentioned something today called Lowe Syndrome. If that's what I've got, it has something to do with Mom's X-chromosome. He wants to check Mom's eyes 'cause even though there's nothing wrong with her eyes he'll be able to see if she's carrying this very, very rare thing, which might have caused my cataracts and microphthalmia. I don't understand any of this but it's making Mom sad. You can check out this scary link and pray that this is NOT what I've got...

I’m going to have a nice long sleep now. I’m going to Oumie’s funeral later today.

Love Cameron

No comments: