Wednesday, September 10, 2008

First surgery - right eye


Hi everyone

Thank you so, so much for praying for me today! And for all the SMSs and emails you sent to my Mom and Dad. You made us feel treasured!

An answer to prayer was that I slept really well last night – Mom had to wake me up this morning to leave for the hospital. I didn’t drink anything for nearly ten hours – until after my operation – and I didn’t even cry!

Dad put all the fancy eye drops into my eyes at the hospital, and Pastor Mike came to pray for me before they took me into the theatre. I wasn’t scared at all, but I think Mom and Dad were scared. It really helped them, though, to know that so many people were praying. Dr Pauw and the theatre sisters all hugged me and told me I was gorgeous. After that I don’t remember anything until way later when I came round and had a patch on my eye and Mom was holding me.

Things didn’t go quite as well as we’d hoped. The little bag that holds my lens – and the cataract – is too small and so they can’t fit an intraocular lens into my eye. The little ligaments that hold that bag are also a bit dodgy so Dr Pauw says they will probably never be able to put in an intraocular lens, unless the technology in the next few years really improves. That means that they have left me ‘aphakic’ – without any lens in my eye. Now Dad and his mates are just going to have to fit really strong contact lenses onto my eyes to help me to see. But Dr Pauw did remove the cataract from my right eye and that surgery went very well. So now maybe I’ll be able to see some colours, which I believe is really cool. I still won’t be able to see any detail, but maybe with the contact lenses that will get better. Dr Pauw said there’s still a good red reflex from my retina, and my cornea is fine too.

So next week, Lord willing, they do my left eye, and hopefully it’s in better shape than my right eye and they will be able to put a lens into it.

Please pray that my eye doesn’t get inflamed or infected, and that I don’t get a retinal detachment or glaucoma. Pray that I don’t pull the patch off my eye until it has healed nicely. And please also pray for Mom and Dad ‘cause they have to put drops into my eye every two hours so they won’t be getting much sleep over the next two weeks…

Lots of love from
Cameron

No comments: