Friday, October 2, 2009

Things to be grateful for this week:


We found out that Cameron is allergic to egg white and peanuts. Good to know! Perhaps now his frequently snotty nose will become less so…!

On Tuesday afternoon Cam was just out of sorts and I couldn’t settle him. (Probably because I was just out of sorts and couldn’t settle myself.) I phoned my Mom and she came straight away. And he was better. Grannies are just the best.

Someone once said that working mothers are guinea pigs in a scientific experiment to show that sleep is not necessary to human life. I’m so grateful for the prayers of the saints and the sustaining grace and mercy of God, rained upon me each night and fresh as dew each morning.

I delight in Cam’s innocence, and his excitement over the tiniest things... He is my constant reminder of what it’s really all about, my priority barometer, my little bringer-of-perspective. Here are some cool thoughts on what it means to be a child:

He said to them, ‘Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children. I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn’t receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.’ – Mark 10:14-15

One must ask children and birds how cherries and strawberries taste. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them. - Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince, 1943

Think what a better world it would be if we all - the whole world - had cookies and milk about three o’clock every afternoon and then lay down with our blankies for a nap. - Robert Fulghum

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed. - Albert Einstein

Children have neither past nor future; they enjoy the present, which very few of us do. - Jean de la Bruyere

I still get wildly enthusiastic about little things.... I play with leaves. I skip down the street and run against the wind. - Leo Buscaglia

And a sobering one…:

We're the generation; we can't afford to wait. The future started yesterday and we're already late. - John Legend

No comments: