Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Mom’s holiday in full swing…





























At the beginning of my four week August holiday I prayed that God would somehow make the time go slowly for me, and he really has. I still have a week and a half to go and I feel so very rested, and have been able to spend such precious quality and quantity time with Cam.

During term time I normally just walk around the campus with Lola and Cam in the afternoons, but since all my College boys are away and there are no incidental conversations to strike up on campus, I’ve been walking in the streets of our leafy suburb. Cam loves gates and garage doors (they’re usually big and in contrast to their surroundings and he sees them from a surprising distance), and shrubs that grow close to the pavement and that he can touch. Today he discovered Namaqualand daisies – a real winner!

This weekend, DV, we’re taking him on his first camping trip, to the Pilanesberg. Really looking forward to that. :) I’m excited for him to hear lots of real bird sounds (as opposed to the bird sounds on his Guy Gibbons CD).

Something that amazes us, in terms of the adaption of Cam’s other senses, is the way that he climbs off his bed in the middle of the night and makes his way to our bedroom (down two stairs and through the obstacle-filled lounge), in the dark, without his contact lenses. (OK, sometimes we do find him and his blanky in the kitchen; but still!)

If you check out this blog because you have a blind or VI child of your own, perhaps it will be encouraging for me to share one of my daily coping mechanisms. This is especially helpful on days when I feel utterly overwhelmed by the magnitude of my responsibility as a mom. I’m into ‘checklists’ (I’m a structured person…). So I have three ‘daily fives’ – I thank God for five things, then I pray five prayers for us as parents and five prayers for Cam. These are the same ten prayers every day. I wrote them down when we found out I was pregnant with Cam (so they have nothing to do with his eyes, per se). I pray other prayers, too - normal, everyday, free-parking-bay prayers - but the daily fives are the underpinnings of what I bring before the throne.

Then I have a ‘daily four’: elements that I have to bring into Cam’s day. Prayer, laughter, learning and adventure. These can be in little or big doses, but they all have to appear, at least once, everyday. (If you are not a structured person this might freak you out :) No worries!)

Lastly, I’m including something that our treasured friend Lourika Kotzee posted on her blog yesterday. She is currently walking the harrowing road of chemotherapy. Her steadfast faith and joy are an inspiration to us and to so many people. She is another example of how our pain gives us a platform and a megaphone with which to broadcast the glory of God.

Today I want to tell you about the two Camerons I know.

The first is Cameron Van Den Burgh, the SA swimming sensation. I used to teach him at Cornwall Hill College, back when we was in grade 9. Accounting and EMS (Economic and Management Sciences). He was always one of the most polite, well-mannered pupils I have ever taught. It doesn't even surprise me that he is doing so well. I am so proud of his achievements!

The second Cameron is Cameron Reyburn - My little BIG hero! Cameron is the first born son to our very good friends Murray and Dalene. He is only three days younger than Ivan.

Cameron was born with bilateral congenital cataracts. He has undergone many examinations under anesthetics and had operations. Always being so brave!

We "catch up" on news of his progress via his blog (where we got the idea of starting our own blog - thanks Cam!). He is doing so well and is reaching milestones right on time! He is even going to a mainstream play school. He is blessed with a bunch of great people that is helping him in so many ways. Every time I read about his daily life and all the things he is up to, my heart swells with pride. It is such a privilege to know this little boy. When I feel down in the dumps, I think of his bright smile!
Cameron Reyburn is indeed my little BIG hero - with a heart of gold and the courage of a lion. I learn so much from him. And maybe the most important lesson, to be like a child again. To enjoy the simple, little things in life. And to take these things on with a child-like enthusiasm and excitement.

Luke 18:15-17 'Jesus called them to him, saying, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."

Let's all be like children again.

1 comment:

Natalie Lubbe said...

I see you dont need inspiration, you seem to have so much already, but if you want a little more, i suggest reading "touch the top" by Erik Wiehenmeyer... He went blind in his teens, and has gone on to climb the seven summits - The book is his lifes story.